These cookies are not only impressive, they are mouth watering delicious! I made the “thumb print” indentation with a wine bottle cork, and filled the centers with a seedless raspberry preserve that I heated on the stove for an easier consistency. I alternated the drizzle every other cookie with a semi-sweet chocolate and the almond glaze, using a zip lock baggie to pipe the glaze. This has got to be the most simple, yet impressive cookie I have ever made!
I’ve made these cookies a half-dozen times now. They’ve been DELICIOUS every single time, but here’s a few words of advice: First, do not leave out the almond extract or sub it with vanilla. The almond adds a great flavor and its very distinct. Second, pull the cookies out of the oven midway through cooking, take a spoon and lightly spread the jam outwards and even it out into a circle. This way, the cookies will look much prettier when done. The first time I made them, the jam had bubbled all over the cookie and wasn’t evenly spread.
The flavor was the same of course but the jam likes to go its own direction and I like them to look pretty. Great recipe! ETA: I have found that once the cookies are ready to be put in the oven, if you put them in the fridge for ~15 minutes, it will eliminate the need to “fix” the jam half-way through baking. Also, because shortbread is naturally so white, it is easy to burn these without realizing that the bottoms are browning. So, carefully watch the edges and when they turn light brown, they are done (even if they don’t look like it!) Also, use the back of a teaspoon to make perfect little holes to fill.
shortbread cookies with jam
100 g unsalted butter, softened
40 g powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
160 g all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp thick jam (apple, strawberry, or any other). If not thick enough, add ½ tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Soften the butter by letting it sit at room temperature for 40 minutes or microwave it for about 15-20 seconds. Add powdered sugar and mix thoroughly
- Add the egg white, vanilla extract, salt and mix well
- Add flour and mix well
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the dough into a disposable pastry bag with a large star tip and pipe cookies onto the baking sheet. The cookies should be about 2 inches in diameter
- Using a ¼ thick stick, gently press in the center of each cookie, about half way. You want to make a little dent, not a hole. Fill the centers with a little bit of jam
- Bake at 425F for about 8-10 minutes, until the sides of cookie are starting to turn golden brown.
Read more >>> shortbread cookies with jam @ ifoodblogger.com