I was very impressed with this recipe! The consistency was wonderful and coated the apples beautifully. I also made sure to twirl the apples on the bottom of the pot (held at an angle) to remove any excess caramel. As written, it made enough to coat 12 medium apples and have enough left over to fill a small jelly jar, I get frustrated when searching for recipes only to find them calling for melting caramel candies. I rarely try recipes that have so few reviews, but this was definitely worth the try!
The caramel recipe alone gets five stars! It was fun to make and tasted delicious!! My friend took a bite and said “you didn’t just melt squares to make these- this is REAL caramel, isn’t it!” The caramel came off the apple when we ate them but it was so good. I sprinkled my finished product with kosher salt and they are the best I’ve ever had.
Best Homemade Caramel
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter
2 cups packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1 can (14oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Line 13×9 pan with foil that has been prayed with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 2qt heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup & sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook & stir until candy thermometer reads 248 degrees (firm ball stage) This should take about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat, carefully stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Move quickly as it will firm up fast.
Read more >>> Best Homemade Caramel @ kleinworthco.com