These cupcakes are delicious. They are good without frosting, but I made some with the “Fluffy peanut butter frosting” recipe and my fiance liked them with that too. I did not use walnuts because I’m not a big fan. Depending on your oven you may not need to bake them for the full 25-30 minute time period.
Mine took about 16-17 and this gave them a crispy top, soft bottom, and moist in the center. Perfect combination. They are VERY filling and very delicious. One other thing, don’t put the toothpick in the center. Put it more towards the side because the center will not come out clean due to the filling. If you stick the toothpick in the side and it comes out clean.
HEAVENLY HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1/2 cup hot coffee (or 1/2 cup boiling water + 1 pack starbucks via instant coffee)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine hot coffee and cocoa powder. Mix well to dissolve and set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with paddle attachment.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Add about half of the milk mixture to the flour and mix on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Combine the chocolate mixture with the remaining milk mixture and add to the batter. Mix with batter on medium speed for about 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl before turning mixer on.
- Distribute batter evenly to the 12 muffin cups. Batter will be very wet.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree F oven for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 F without opening the oven door. Continue cooking at lower temperature for an additional 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer cupcakes to a cooking rack as soon as they’re cool enough to be touched.
- Prepare buttercream frosting according to instructions or your other favorite frosting… or just devour it plain!