I made this to use up graham crackers and pudding mix I had on hand. It was so easy and so delicious. I made my own chocolate glaze for the top (3 tbsp cocoa, 3 tbsp melted butter, 3 tbsp milk, enough powdered sugar to make pouring consistency) and it turned out great. This will be something I will take to potlucks in the summer months definitely.
This was excellent. It really tasted just like an eclair. I couldn’t bring myself to use store bought icing so I made a chocolate butter cream. Everyone loved it. It doesn’t get much easier!! Enjoy!
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Flour
3/4 tsp Salt
3 cup Milk
3 egg Yolks
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Water
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Flour
1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 tsp Shortening
- Beat egg yolks and set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan.
- Slowly add milk while whisking. Then add egg yolks while whisking.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
- Cook until mixture reached the consistency of pudding.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter to pan, whicking until butter is melted and mixture is well blended.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream into custard mixture. and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine butter, water and salt in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- Add flour to the pan and stir until it forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Transfer pastry dough to piping bag.
- Pipe elongated strips of dough onto prepared sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer pastry cream to a piping bag.
- Cut pastries halfway through the center with a knife and pipe in the cream.
- Melt chocolate by heating chocolate chips and shortening in microwave for 30 seconds, stirring and repeating until melted and smooth.
- Place in a shallow flat dish.
- Dip tops of eclairs in chocolate and return to parchment lined pan and allow to cool.
Read more >>> HOMEMADE ECLAIRS @ cincyshopper.com