This was fun to make. The recipe itself is easy, but depending on the gooseberries the prep time can be very long…removing all the blossom ends from those tiny little berries was tedious. I used wild Colorado gooseberries which were very small.
This recipe would be better with larger gooseberries like I used to see for sale in Midwest grocery stores. My gooseberries were neither sweet nor tart (kind of bland) and I thought the sugar level was about right. I’d never had a sour cream pie before, and this was very good.
MOUSSELINE CREAM, FANCIES THAN PASTRY CREAM
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
2 cups milk (480ml)
4 egg yolks
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (80g)
¼ cup all-purpose flour (30g)
¼ cup cornstarch (30g)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
⅓ cup unsalted butter (75g)
⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened (75g)
- In a thick bottom sauce pan warm 2 cups of milk over low heat.
- In a bowl cream egg yolks and granulated sugar. Sift in all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Finally stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Pour only ¼ of warm milk into (2) and whisk to combine. Then pour the cream in the pan of the warm milk.
- Over medium heat bring it to a boil whisking constantly. When it starts to boil, whisk continually until the cream thickens.
- Out of heat stir in ⅓ cup of unsalted butter. Mix until combined. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile cream ⅓ cup of softened butter. When the cream is cooled to room temperature, add in the butter. Whisk until smooth.