I used only whole wheat pastry flour and the recipe came out wonderfully. I used coffee granules instead of coffee extract; those were the only changes I made to the recipe.
My one piece of advice would be to freeze the brownie for an hour before cutting it so the pieces will cut more cleanly. I used parchment paper so I was able to lift the brownie out of the pan very easily before freezing and cutting. I would be interested to know what the benefit of applesauce and buttermilk are to this recipe.
JULIA CHILD’S AMAZING BROWNIE RECIPE
1¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (Iused chocolate chips)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, room temperature
Optional peanut butter filling:
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Sift flour and salt together; set aside.
- *Optional step for peanut butter filling: With electric mixer, beat peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter until very creamy, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the brownies, melt chocolate with butter in double boiler, stirring frequently. Alternatively, you can melt in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between. After dissolving, add 1 cup of the sugar to the mixture; stir to blend. Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl.
- In stand mixing bowl whisk together the remaining cup of sugar and the eggs until just combined.
- Little by little, pour half of the sugar and eggs into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently but constantly with a rubber spatula so that the eggs don’t set from the heat.
- Fit the whisk attachment to the mixer and whip the remaining sugar and eggs until they are thick, pale, and doubled in volume, about 3-4 minutes.
- Using rubber spatula, delicately fold the whipped eggs into the chocolate mixture.
- When the eggs are almost completely incorporated, gently fold in the dry ingredients.
- Pour and scrape the batter in to an unbuttered 9-inch square pan. Note: I sprayed with a little baking spray just to make sure they didn’t stick.
- *Optional step: drop teaspoonfuls of peanut mixture into the batter and throughout the pan.
- Bake the brownies for a minimum of 45 minutes, during which time they will rise a little and the top will turn dark and dry.
- Cut into the center at about the 30-minute mark to see how the brownies are progressing: they are perfect when they are just barely set and still a little gooey. Note: Some people like them a little less gooey. If so, bake an extra few minutes.
- Cool the brownies in the pan on a rack.
- Optional: sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Read more >>> JULIA CHILD’S AMAZING BROWNIE RECIPE @ garlicgirl.com