I really enjoyed this recipe, but I made an altered version. I added 1 tsp of vanilla to the batter, and I spread nutella and layered sliced strawberries between the cake levels.
I then dusted the top with icing sugar and decorated it with more sliced strawberries. It turned out really well, and because I got the nutella on quickly, it melted nicely, making it extra moist and delicious.
MOCHA CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup strong brewed coffee hot
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature, cubed
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
3 oz dark chocolate chopped, melted, and cooled
3 oz dark chocolate
3 oz heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 6″ round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients (pour coffee in slowly as not to cook the eggs if very hot).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2-3 mins. Batter will be very thin.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. I used a kitchen scale to ensure the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 20mins, rotate pans in oven.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out mostly clean. A total of 30-35mins.
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to paddle attachment.
- Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla, melted chocolate, and espresso powder. Whip until smooth.
- Frost cake and refrigerate before adding ganache.
- Finely chop chocolate and place into a bowl. Bring cream just barely to a simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 2 mins. Stir with a spatula until combined and smooth. Allow to cool and thicken slightly before using on cake.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Top with approximately 2/3 cup of frosting and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers and apply a thin coat of frosting all over the cake. Chill for 20mins.
- Frost and smooth the sides. Chill for 20mins.
- Using a small spoon, place dollops of ganache around the top edges of the cooled cake, allowing some to drip down. Fill in the top of the cake with more ganache and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
Read more >>> Mocha Chocolate Cake @ livforcake.com